By Andy Sambidge www.arabianbusiness.com
More than 80 percent of poll respondents have slammed a decision by Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) to exempt work on the metro’s Red Line from the summer work ban.
The midday work restrictions, which end on Tuesday, has been abolished by the Ministry of Labour – follo
wing a request by the RTA – as contractors try to meet the project’s September 9 deadline.
After the ban was lifted, RTA officials announced on Sunday that 10 stations would open on the launch day of the rail project.
But the decision has been widely condemned by Arabian Business readers.
In an online poll that received hundreds of votes, 45 percent of respondents said that the midday break should have been implemented and that they did not care if the metro was delayed as a result.
Another 37 percent of people who voted said the decision to lift the ban set a poor example to other construction companies in Dubai who have had to abide by the Ministry of Labour restrictions.
Earlier this month, Arabian Business reported how nine percent of UAE construction companies inspected by Ministry of Labour teams have been found violating the midday break rules.
From July 1 to August 16, a total of 553 firms were found to be breaking the law, which prevents outside working between the hours of 12.30pm and 3pm.
A total of 5,930 site visits have so far been carried out and Dubai was recognised as the worst offending emirate with 12 percent of companies violating the work ban.
In our poll, only six percent of respondents supported the decision wholeheartedly and said it was an important step to ensure the metro opened on time.
A further 12 percent said that while they accepted the decision to lift the restrictions, all efforts had to be made to protect the welfare of labourers working during the hottest time of the day.
A consortium led by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is responsible for building the Dubai Metro.