By Staff www.gulfnews.com
Dubai: Dubai International, the world’s number one hub for international passenger traffic, increased its capacity from 75 million to 90 million on Wednesday with the opening of Concourse D, officials said.
A total of $1.2 billion were spent on the new concourse to enhance service and boost capacity for the more than 70 international airlines that will now call it home, they said.
“We continue to invest in the development of top-flight infrastructure to augment service levels for our international airlines and their customers while providing the capacity needed to meet growing demand,” said Shaikh Ahmad Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman of Dubai Airports; President of the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority; Chairman and CEO of Emirates Group.
“Concourse D has been designed with the customer at its heart. Shorter walking distances, more comfortable seating areas, more choice in lounges and a world-class retail and F&B offering are sure to impress and delight our passengers and our airline partners.”
The first flight to be welcomed at the facility was today’s British Airways’ flight 105. This historic first operation followed months of intensive testing and a successful operational trial involving 2,000 members of the public earlier this month. More info