Dubai Police reveal New Year’s Eve safety plans

0
987

By   www.thenational.ae

DUBAI // More than one and half million people are expected to converge around the world’s tallest building in Dubai to enjoy the New Year’s Eve fireworks display.

And in order to keep the area around the Burj Khalifa safe for visitors – many of whom will be tourists – police are considering closing the nearby metro station.

Because of the huge crowds last year police this year might direct passengers to the nearby Financial Centre station and Business Bay station.

Col Abdullah Al Marri, deputy director of the general department at Dubai Police, said: “This year we are looking to possibly close the Burj Khalifa station and divert people on foot to the other two stations as the distance isn’t that far.”

Last year an estimated 1.7 million people went to the Downtown area and a similar number are expected this time around.

A final decision on whether to close the Burj Khalifa station is expected to be made on Sunday.

Other contingency plans include providing a temporary pedestrian crossing on Sheikh Zayed Road, said Col Al Marri.

“The idea would be that in case of an emergency we would have a zebra crossing on Sheikh Zayed Road marshalled by police officers to allow people to leave the area safely,” he said, adding in previous years some people had risked their lives trying to cross the motorway on foot. More info