Gang confesses to planning Metro cable theft


By Eman Al Baik

A gang of four Pakistanis allegedly stole electricity cables of Dubai Metro project worth $11,000 and caused the site’s guard 85 per cent permanent disability.

Dubai Metro
Dubai Metro

The four Pakistanis are all workers and identified as: BAS, 22, AMB, 24, MAM, 23, and NKD, 28.

Three Bangladeshis workers identified as MSL, 23, MNH, 45, and NMH, 23, are accused of possessing cables from illegal sources.

The victim Daniello Mir Kolisia, 24, Filipino, testified that while he was guarding the metro bridge site near Wonderland Park some people attacked him from behind, beat his back and controlled his movement while pushing him to ground.

“I felt my head hit the ground…the attackers tied my legs and arms and covered my face with a cloth and then pushed me to the ground…one of them told me “no talking” in Arabic and then I fell unconscious,” he testified.

Second Lieutenant Mohammed Darwish testified that on April 30, 2010 police received a notification about a theft at a Dubai Metro project site.

Asking the guard about the incident he testified that at dawn after the workers left the site he heard a noise. Moving towards the noise men surprised him and tied his hands and legs. While they were pulling his wallet he tried to talk to them but they asked him not to talk. He believed that they were Asians. Workers came the next day morning and untied his hands and removed the cloth from his face and called the police.

Police arrested the first accused BAS who confessed to the theft that he planned and committed with other three.

BAS confessed that they used a pickup and drove to the site assaulted the guard and tied him and covered his face with a cloth. They then drove to Shrjah where they have sold the items to MSL for Dh20,000 and that BAS’s share was Dh6,000.

Police arrested BAS’s accomplices who confessed to the theft.

Police arrested MSL who confessed to selling the cables to a shop in Sharjah for Dh21,000. The second buyer NMH was also arrested but police could not find the cables as he had used them.

Other policemen repeated the same testimony.

Forensic reported that the guard sustained a weakness in all of his left side, which is considered a permanent disability with a rate of 85 per cent.

The court adjourned the case until July 4.