By David Tusing www.business24-7.ae
It’s still early days, but like every city with a metro, Dubai commuters will eventually warm to using the city’s newest, flashiest, fastest and most hi-tech public transport system yet .
As new stations and lines open, the authorities are hoping that commuting trends in the city will change for the better and that residents will, in due course, adapt to a life around it .
But as anyone who has used a metro will tell you, living life in the fast lane of trains is not the same as using other means of transport. To help you adjust to your new life with Dubai Metro, here are our top tips on how to do it in style:
1. Ray-Ban Wayfarer (Dh710) The Ray-Ban Colorize collection has such trendy shades that you might dazzle your fellow commuters. Available at Magrabi Optical .
2. Acqua Di Parma Colonia Intensa Prestige Edition (Dh490) For all that time spent in confined spaces. Launching this month and available at Saks Fifth Avenue .
3. Lanvin zipped boots (Dh4,300) The calfskin boots will help you trudge between stations in style. Available at Rodeo Drive .
4. Netbooks from Dell and Samsung Samsung’s latest N310 (Dh1,699) and the Dell MINI 10v (Price not announced) will let you take advantage of the Wi-Fi enabled Metro. Available at all major electronics stores .
5. Belkin iPod sleeves Protect those portable music players with this iPhone silicon sleeve (Dh120) and iPod sleeve (Dh100). Available at all major electronics stores. 6. Mulberry Felix bag (Dh3,500) Take your world with you in this hobo bag. Available at own store .
7. Western Digital My Passport Elite – 500 GB (Dh599) All your important docs and back-ups in one portable device. Available at all leading electronic stores .
8. Lanvin Derby shoes (Dh3,300) These shoes in grained cowhide and metallic calfskin are as comfortable as they are stylish. Available at Rodeo Drive .
9. Furla umbrella (Price on request) Rain or shine, you know you’re covered. Available at own store .
10. Furla key ring (Price on request) These keys will stay with you as you dash for the train. Available at own store .
11. Tumi backpack (Dh1,350) Perfect for the rush hour. Available at own store .
12. Optoma Pico portable projector (Dh1,400) Take your presentations with you everywhere. Available at Jacky’s Electronics .
13. Ralph Lauren AW09 (Price on request) This look from the designer’s Autumn/Winter 2009 collection epitomises elegance. Available at own store .
14. Loewe card holders (Price on request) Flash those business cards in style. Available at own store .
15. Paul Smith briefcase (Dh2,591) Make an entry to remember with this beautiful number. Available at own store .
16. Thomas Pink commuter tie (Dh340) A neat way to tuck in your music. Available at own store .
17. Belkin RockStar multi-player plug-in (Dh75) Watch a movie and listen to music at the same time. Available at all leading electronics stores
18. Paul Smith hat (Dh546) Who cares about the sun with this cool number? Available at own store.