Staff Report www.gulfnews.com
Dubai: Motorists and road users are being asked to exercise extreme care and caution when driving during rainy periods and low visibility, to avoid traffic accidents which are likely to double under the current weather conditions.
Engineer Maith Bin Udai, CEO of Traffic and Roads Agency at the Roads and Transport Authority, said:
“Speeding during rainy or foggy weather often leads to vehicle sliding and loss of steering control by the driver; which is a direct factor responsible for many accidents that take place during the winter.”
KEY POINTS TO FOLLOW
- 1. Look, listen, and be fully alert to avoid accidents.
- 2. Minimise the impact of anything that might distract your attention such as mobile phones.
- 3. Listen to the radio for cautionary notices.
- 4. Stay fully focused.
- 5. Ensure that the windows and mirrors are clean and use wipers to improve visibility.
- 6. If the fog is too thick to drive through, park off the road and switch on the hazard lights.
- 1. Don’t park on the road — to avoid a pile-up of vehicles behind.
- 2. Don’t speed even though it may seem that the fog is clearing.
- 3. Don’t attempt to overtake a slow-moving vehicle in front of you or to keep a distance from a vehicle behind or beside you.
- 1. Monitor your speed. Reduce speed gradually.
- 2. Leave a sufficient distance between you and the vehicle in front.
- 3. When visibility drops, use low-beam lights.